[wplug-erie] What do you use Linux for?

Grey grey at net.arrivetech.com
Wed Jun 8 13:59:36 EDT 2005

When asking the question, I was also interested in the number of people
who were dead set against the Microsoft OS. I've been seeing a increase
of people saying they are fanatically against Microsoft (even to use M$
as a reference ;-). And yes, I've said the same thing, at times.
Perhaps an increase of Mac systems with the BSD backend (I drive some
Mac users up the wall when I start working with a terminal window), also
shows how a system can be.

I'm also starting to see that bashing the "other side" isn't giving the
Linux community a good name.

Where do I stand now? Do I use Microsoft OS's, and Applications?

At Home, yes.. an old laptop running 98SE to play Diablo II on (Yes, I
know it runs on Mac's too, but ATMA doesn't ;-), and a couple of other
games. A newer XP Home machine that runs Zoo Tycoon, and a number of
other games. Thats about it for me. Any other use is under Linux (and
I'm not even touching the subject of Distribution, which causes too many
flames, and arguments... I feel that each person likes their's, and
thats fine. Different Body work, bells, and whistles, but there's the
same Kernel under there, yes, to a point I know. And at the end of the
day, it does what you want it to do).

At Work? Well, we're a Microsoft Partner, with MSCE admins in it. Our
business uses Microsoft in Software Development. Hmmm, so to some here,
I suppose I'm starting to look like the enemy?. Not so, I believe in
linux, Opensource, and the services it can provide. I'm more interested
in interoperation, and other methods of achieving goals. I think all
our systems have Firefox on them. Some of my peers are using OpenOffice
(because it rocks ;-), even with Office on their Desktops. The first
tools I put on a windows machine, Gvim, UnixUtils, Perl, Tcl/Tk, and
Putty to get everywhere I need to.

If I think that a friend, or a client would benefit in using a tool
developed with Opensource tools, running on Opensource software, then
it's suggested. Each OS has its strengths and weaknesses, and as a
Linux User Group, we should be showing off the strengths, all the time
of Linux, as well educating, and assisting those trying to do new
things. Why did I look to a Linux User Group locally, because I want to
learn new stuff, and help someone out (oh, and perhaps have a beer once
in a while ;-)

How many times do we get asked, "ooo, Linux, Yeah, I want to run that, I
hate <insert OS/Program Here>, so its the right choice for me", or, "how
do I duel boot so I can run Linux", to have these people get 'turned
off' because it's not easy to start out? I usually suggest running on
two different boxes, so at least you've still got a machine that can get
to the internet for the "X windows wont run", or "How do I dialout?"
questions.

I want to do the things I want to do; Program, play with electronics,
setup test systems, learn, solve problems (and I suppose thats what I
use linux for as well, a lot!). Give tools to users and admins to do a
better job, or make it easier for a person to do theirs. Some of those
things I cannot do with Windows, or rather, I could if I was made of
Money (and even then, would I? Not sure... some things can be more
elegant in a Linux solution)...

But hey, thats just me, speaking my mind. Hope it doesn't offend anyone,
as thats not my intention.

-Grey