[wplug-erie] What do you use Linux for?

Rob Morehouse rob.morehouse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:03:16 EDT 2005

Why do I use Linux? I use it because I am an anti-microsoft fanatic.
How do I use it(Ubuntu)? I use it on my desktop as my only operating
system, and as my backup on my laptop (configuring a linksys wireless
card, and getting the mouse to work the way I am comfortable, and my
consistant use of Picasa have been preventing my migration on that
hardware, although I would love to start fixing those problems again).

I also refuse to try the newly free solaris system as I dont like that
the lisense is so confusing.  (not to mentioned have they even relesed
the source yet or it it still "comming soon"  ).
I also think I will be using linux in the furture as I intend to never
pay for a Microsoft install again  (I will keep my XP install till my
laptop is gone or working under a decent distro).

Anyone else?

On 6/7/05, Grey <grey at net.arrivetech.com> wrote:
> So, can I assume from Just Bill's comment, that not much traffic comes
> to the list ;-D.
>
> Based on the "don't know about the topic" part, heres a better question
> that anyone can answer;
>
>         "What do you use Linux for?"
>
> No, this isn't a "whats it good for, becasue I don't see a point", but
> more a way of getting people to talk about their favorite topic;
> themselves ;-) But, in relation to Linux.
>
> Maybe some use it "just because", but I'm guessing there's more to it
> than that. I suppose I'm trying to find out what level people are at,
> and trying to see what I can learn.
>
> Um... Suppose I should go first... Damn... Erm
>
> I use linux for:
>  * Programming (Mostly C and C++, but Perl, Tcl/Tk.. Trying to get into
> Python).
>  * Learning (Which never stops....)
>  * My Home Servers, and Laptops. Dialup Gateway
>  * At Work as Servers, and Network Equipment.
>  * "Just Because" (Hey, I'm honest... #shrug# I just like it)
>  * Most of my Email (this mail coming to you from mutt ;-)
>
> That covers most of it...
>
> Right.. NEXT!!! ;-D
>
> -Grey

Rob Morehouse