[wplug-erie] Repository storage (CVS, Subversion)

Grey grey at net.arrivetech.com
Tue Jun 7 14:01:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:06:48PM -0000, Mark Dalrymple wrote:
> I use subversion exclusively now (from using CVS a lot).  Conceptually
> it's not too different, and has some nice features.  one thing that came
> up at WPLUG is someone who really wanted to have the X.Y.Z.A numbering
> scheme for revisions (vs Subversion's monotonically increasing integer).

I've never had a reason to branch in CVS with the code I work with which
is mostly programming (Tcl/Tk, C, C++, Perl, PIC Assembly), sometimes
config logs (if I remember), and within the last year, nagios and bind
data. Also, some of that reason is that I never can get the branch to
merge the way I want, so I avoid it.

My release tags usually have my number standard in, so the Subversion
number system doesn't bother me.

I think my biggest problem with CVS is directory management, and
symbolic links. I've read that Subversion may help in the directory
situation, and I've skimmed too lightly on the symbolic link
management:

 ~/system/nameserver/ns1/
 	./conf
	./data
	./scripts -> ../common/scripts
 ~/system/nameserver/ns2/
 	./conf
	./data
	./scripts -> ../common/scripts
 ~/system/nameserver/common
 	./scripts

I admit, I could write a script in the cvsroot files to do some of this,
but it's one of those things I don't get the chance to do (8th day
projects)

Still, it's good to know the differences, thanks Mark.
If you hadn't have mentioned FSFS I would have gone the Berkeley DB route due
to the mention of maturity of FSFS.

-Grey