[wplug-erie] Repository storage (CVS, Subversion)

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Tue Jun 7 13:06:48 EDT 2005

>I'm currently thinking about testing the Subversion repository system to
>see if it can cope with my needs, but I've been CVS for a number of
>years. Has anyone else used both and decided to stick to one or the
>other, or perhaps using both depending on the nature of the files in
>question.

I use subversion exclusively now (from using CVS a lot).  Conceptually
it's not too different, and has some nice features.  one thing that came
up at WPLUG is someone who really wanted to have the X.Y.Z.A numbering
scheme for revisions (vs Subversion's monotonically increasing integer).

>My other thought is on backups, and how best to prevent the main
>repository from being lost.

Use the "FSFS" format for your repository, and you can use regular
OS backup tools to back it up.

Cheers
++Mark Dalrymple.  markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "funny, I normally place 'lack of tentacles' high on my list of
   priorities when choosing financial instruments"
     -- mikeash