[wplug-erie] Install Fest questions.

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Mar 30 14:52:16 EST 2004

Hi,

I'll attempt to answer in general what facilities that you will need for
an installfest. I organize the installfests in Pittsburgh and lived
through too many to count.

1. The date is Saturday April 24. 10am-5pm. You need at least this much
time to run a proper installfest. Allow 1 hour for organizer setup and
1 hour for cleanup. So 9am-6pm.
2. You can never have enough power outlets. At the very least one for
each wall. Installfests always end up with cables everywhere on the floor.
It helps if you duck tape cables to the floor so that people don't trip.
You will want to encourage people to bring their own surge protectors but
people forget so keep a few on hand.
3. While it is possible to run an installfest without internet it takes a
good deal of planning. Wired access would be preferred. Wireless access
isn't necessary but it would be nice.
4. Unless someone where to demo their install for an audience, then no.
Supplemental hint, do not show movies at installfests since there are too
many issues involved, trust me.
5. You will see laptops, desktops and everything in between at an
installfest. Therefore if any one has access to a cart or a pully or a
wagon, please bring it.

Other Misc needs.
1. You must have ample and close parking.
2. Access to the room must be accessible by wheelchair.
3. You must be allowed to have food and drink in the room or in an
adjacent room. People get rather hungry and thirsty over a 7 hour period.
4. Have a number ready for a reliable pizza shop. Collect money for
lunch and make sure food is present before 1pm.
5. Access to public transportation is nice. I think the buses go by there
but I don't know about a Saturday.
6. It is a HUGE plus if the venue has a phone you can use.
7. The room must have access to restrooms.
8. Since this is a college, you will want to talk to campus security
about what doors are locked on weekends.
9. You must have tables and chairs. Student desks won't cut it.
10. The room capacity must be at least 50 in order for you to have enough
room for 25 installers. The largest installfest in Pittsburgh to date
was 25 installers. Of course the bigger the better so see what you can
get.
11. Access to a kitchen helps a lot.
12. Bring your own cleaning supplies. This is going to leave a mess.

I hope this helps when selecting an installfest venue.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn