[wplug-erie] A question for the group

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Feb 23 14:44:17 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm a Pittsburgher so what you decide regarding the high school
folks is your decision. WPLUG used to have alot of high school
kids about but they grew up and went to college. By and large,
they are a grand asset to the group. Sometimes we would have
mom's drop off their kids at installfests. Sometimes people
will bring their children to installfests (Ages 3-18). In
general those under 18 are very curious about hardware and how
things work. They love taking things apart.

If you are going to encourage folks under 18, you have to be
extra careful to have a family friendly environment. This means
don't cuss, don't flaunt your porn collection, and don't show
graphic movies. Of course this sounds like common sense that
you may want to do anyway but believe it or not WPLUG has had
to explain appropriate behavior to individuals in the past.
Remember, when you open those doors, all walks of life enter!

If you choose to inform high schools of what you are doing, some
may be interested in going Linux. Since it's so cost effective, Linux
in schools is really catching on. Please checkout http://k12linux.org/
Also it couldn't hurt to approach a school if you need a large venue
for cheap (the gym or cafeteria is a lot of unused space on Saturdays
and Sundays).

Again, it's your LUG but I would recommend informing the high schoolers.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn