[wplug-erie] Upcoming Meeting

JustBill bill at justbill.org
Tue Feb 17 18:47:52 EST 2004

Everybody,

            I just wanted to remind all about this upcoming meeting of the
ErieLUG this Sunday February 22.    The ErieLUG mailing list has been pretty
quiet and I thought maybe this was needed.  Also I would also like to take
the time to discuss some possible agenda ideas for this meeting.  After
having spoken to a few of the people outside of the message board it seems
to me that some ideas have come across that are very good.  First and
foremost, this should be the last general planning meeting.  Possibly even
only devoting the first ½ hour to hour of time to this.  If your not
interested in planning, don’t come to this part.  Also, some ideas for the
possible planning meeting would be when and where to setup an installfest of
our own, planning dates for more general meetings, frequency of said
meetings, and the like.  These things need to be discussed, and if you only
want to be part of the installfests, support group part, show up later.

I know some people are all ready to jump in for help and want help, but I
believe we should learn together.  It mostly seems most of us showing up are
not hardcore Linux tech support people.  Most of us are still Windows users,
and play with and are learning Linux as well.  So I suggest that if we want
help or need help, we try to focus on 2-3 problems for regular meeting for
joint support, and that the decision for those topics should be done on the
message boards.  Out of the meetings it seems Tom is the longest general
user of Linux, but he freely admits that where he ends up. (Get it END
USER).  Anywho, I would like to see a more group learning effort, not an
established hierarchy of fixor’s and fixee’s.  For some suggested topics,
how about learning to use message groups for getting more info and support
for Linux, Windows migration and similarities between the two for us
newbie’s, or even some general basic command that we keep forgetting to use,
(I personally like this one).  I have no problem learning with a group, as a
group.  The idea I guess is, we come up with a topic towards the end of
meeting or on the mailing list, everyone of us makes a good faith effort to
learn about said topic, and someone who feels comfortable, talks about the
topic and we answer questions as a group.  Seems complicated I know, and I
realize not all are comfortable with speaking, but a group is only as good
as what is put into it.

Finally, we are a new, we obviously will have a lot to kinks to work out,
but I for one would like to make this a lasting effort.  I’ve heard of 3
other attempts to start other ErieLUGs and I would like to make ours last.

Sincerely,

Just Bill

www.justbill.org <http://www.justbill.org/>

p.s.  For clarification of the Fixor and Fixee problem, keep in mind some
people are already tech support, and the last thing they want to do is be
free tech support on the weekends.  We are all interested in learning, but I
for one wouldn’t want to always be the teacher.  I don’t want anybody to
think I’m not willing to share knowledge, but if I came to every meeting and
all I was doing is fixing peoples computer, I would lose interest very
quickly, as most would.  From what I’ve seen is that we are all very
intelligent, (which is why were at these meetings in the first place) and we
all can contribute some way or another.  I know there will always be people
who only want to be on the receiving end, and that’s fine, but if we are a
group of receivers, we will give ourselves nothing to receive.