[wplug-erie] Library Internet Use

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Feb 11 18:00:51 EST 2004

Hello,

WPLUG has an unused one port linksys router that we could give you guys.
Perhaps it could be still useful if you want to have a temporary LAN for
your lug meeting. For installfests, you could setup an NFS server that
would have a couple of distros on it.

That's too bad that you are not allowed to use your one ip address for
a router/firewall. It's their network so you must respect their rules.

Any hope you can convince the library to go wireless? I think at the
meeting that we had back in December, somebody (sorry I don't recall who)
said that they knew of another library in reasonable distance that has
wireless?!? Perhaps you could serve the community *better* by meeting
at two different venues.

To be truthful, WPLUG only uses the Internet during installfests and
that is with one PC which acts as a firewall/router. For the rest
of our meetings we are fine with one computer connected to the
Internet and a video projector. Sometimes we will have a presenter
who needs to grab a couple things off the Internet for the presentation
but if worst came to worse, we could live without.  We've had some
minor problems with abuse and we decided to deal with it on a case by
case basis rather than go without Internet access at installfests. There
is a good deal of liability issues involved with opening up a
temporary public Internet connection since you wouldn't want any of
your guests to do something that would get you in trouble with your
host. Anyhow, it's your LUG and you guys will need to decide what to
do at meetings.

All and all, it sounds like your facilities are very good and you are
on the right track. PC projectors are very expensive so that is a
remarkable offer.

I won't be able to attend your February 22nd planning meeting but I'm
sure I'd find some way to get the router to you if you wanted it.

All of the best,

Beth Lynn