[wplug-erie] Computer Recycling

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Feb 11 11:47:19 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have any information specific to Erie, but I
do have some general ideas on computer recycling.

WPLUG recently donated some low-end Pentiums to a charter school
so you may want to ask the schools in your area. New schools and
broke Catholic schools I would guess would be more likely to accept.

It may be entertaining to bring one system to an Erie meeting so
you folks can marvel at the history of this particular piece of
machinery. Sometimes we even auction such hunks of junk and funds

You could try Goodwill but I know in Pittsburgh they only accept
Pentium and up.

This may be more of a hassle than you are interested in partaking,
however I heard of people old donating computers to citizens of
third world countries.

Perhaps a shot in the dark, but you might want to try to call the
manufacture of the systems and ask if they have any recycling programs
or suggestions.

I don't know if it's a law, but my employer actually pays for the
"proper disposal" of computer monitors. We just trash other computer
junk. I don't know if there's something hazardous about a CRT? Maybe
just the glass? Your organization may want to make sure they aren't
breaking any laws if they end up trashing it.

It would be a shame to see this stuff go to a landfill.

A good compilation on information on computer recycling here.
http://www.ce.cmu.edu/GreenDesign/comprec/resources.html
There are some links to national organizations that do computer
recycling so it may be worthwhile to check out.

Good Luck!

Beth Lynn