[wplug-erie] recover data from failed scsi drive?

Cliff Friedel cfriedel at alltel.net
Tue Aug 10 11:29:29 EDT 2004

Matt,

Will it still recognize the device in linux (ie: does it still show up as
/dev/sd?)? If so, you may want to boot with another drive and see if it is
the partition table that got hosed.  Had this happen to me once.  Rewrote
the partition table exactly the way it was before and boom! The data was
back.  I then copied it to another drive and refdisked and reformatted the
drive.  If it is just file problems, try using the tools for the type of
file system you used (ie: fsck and ext2fs for ext2(3) filesystems, others
for others)

If it is a real hardware problem, there are a couple of places out there
that will disassemble the drive and get the info off (although it is quite
expensive).  Ontrack is one.  Do a google search and I am sure you will find
more.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Friedel