[wplug-erie] New Damn Small Linux 0.6

Michael S. Burlingame msburlingame at eriebeer.com
Wed Apr 14 16:28:25 EDT 2004

The newest addition to the single cd linux collection is Damn Small Linux.
It is a nice knoppix based bootable business card cd distro.  I downloaded
it today and it is light and fast, very fast.  It uses a window manager with
a right clickable menu accessable from anywhere on the desktop and no icons.
Although you can enable icons if you want.

I am running it on an AMD 800 with 128 Ram and it wakes up, asks for video
info (frames, no frames?), usb mouse, roller mouse and then it takes off.
It found the work network thru a 3com nic and went out thru my work router
using DHCP and, presto, Online I was.

I have created docs using ABS spreadsheet and TED and a utility is included
to mount your floppy/cdrom/fat32 hard disk, all with just mouse clicks.
Thus I saved my work to a floppy while not touching the hard disk, except to
poke around and verify that I could view/edit the hard disk in midnight
commander.  Nice, if you need a small self booting distro, this little
distro is for you.

Let me know what y'all think if you try it.  I'll bring it to the install
fest for folks to look at.

Mike