[wplug-erie] A few questions

tdemarco tdemarco at velocity.net
Tue Apr 6 08:41:27 EDT 2004

Hi:

I am a newbie to linux and find it fascinating for a number of reasons.
I have been able to do an install but am having a few problems.  Would
anyone know the answer to any of these questions.

1.  I am using Mandrake 10 with kernal 2.4.  Is this a good distribution
or would one of the less commercial versions (debian?) be better in some
ways.  I like the fetch get type of program (in klonopix) and am
confused by the software management in Mandrake.  Could it be this is
meant to limit access to third party software with a dl version?

2.  My sound system is a a CMI 9878 (built in-based on SIS 7012).  I can
get the sound to work (weakly) by setting it up with the I810 sound
driver.  However when I reboot I get an error "file not present" and
have to reset it for it to function.  Any ideas?  The cmipci driver
doesn't work at all.

3.  Does linux need antivirus protection?  Do you Intel Corporationhave
any recommendations?

4.  What level of firewall protection is needed for use with the
internet (this is a stand alone, not networked).

5.  Is there any way to adjust the keyboard "click" rate?  Since the
install, my keyboard is more sensitive, and I am sometimes ending up
with double characters.

6.  I tried to upgrade my video driver (nvidia) and it apparently worked
(how would I know for sure?).  However, now when the computer loads, I
get a black screen and have to put in my name, password, and then type
kde to get it to start.  Is there anyway to reinstall the graphic interface.

7.  Is setting up a winmodem such as one based on the Intel 536EP (I
have an encore model) or PcTel 1789 (I have a best data) really a
workable option to an external modem?  If so, could you share anything
about the "how to" as what I have tried has been frustrating.

I really want to master linux, because I think that Microsoft has plans
to really capitalize on their monopoly at the public's expense, and
would like an option is both legal and in everyone's benefit.

Thanks.  Any info. appreciated.

tony