[wplug-erie] Install Fest meeting place

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Mon Apr 5 23:52:14 EDT 2004

Hi, my comments are down below. Sorry about the length.

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 22:57, JustBill wrote:

>             We have now been offered two places to meet and have an
> install fest.  Albion fire hall and Mercyhurst college.  Since I know
> Michael definitely gave us the fire hall, my money is still on that.
> On the other hand, a college room with all the same services (i.e.
> time, space, and good internet connection) I think would be a better
> idea.  Problem is there is no actual confirmation on Mercyhurst.  So
> I’m going to put it out as a vote right now.  If, and only if we can
> Mercyhurst college, would you like to go there, or Albion fire hall.
> If Mercyhurst falls thru, it’ll definitely be at the Albion fire hall.

Since I'm coming up from Pittsburgh, my vote shouldn't have as much
weight. However, as "votes" go, I don't see a clear distinction between
options. Let me try this... should we:

(A) Try to get Mercyhurst, at the risk of losing the Albion fire hall's
space?
(B) Take the Albion fire hall, and pass on Mercyhurst for the
installfest?
(C) Wait until we hear about Mercyhurst before making a decision?
(D) Try to reserve both places, then make a decision?
(E) Well, it's all come down to this now, hasn't it. Oh well, forget it!
:-/

If we had time to do this, I'd choose (C). But I don't think that
there's enough time. You will need at least a month to build momentum
for this. I could only do (D) if the hosts of both venues were cool with
it. Unused space, whether unrented or wasted, is a liability, and we'd
want to stay on the good sides of both folks. Either (C) or (D) means
eating up valuable time, and only (D) is possibly tenable.

I won't consider (E). I am serious. It's very difficult to come to a
solution that's amenable to everyone. But since an active core group is
starting to form in Erie, then those people who have been putting in the
most effort, and those people who are willing to put in an effort,
should have the most say. That's why my vote ought to be treated as a
tie-breaker, at best.

I don't know how easy it is to get to either place. But that's not a big
issue for me. But this does open up opportunities. I don't think Erie is
as centralized as Pittsburgh is. The generally good reception towards
hosting an Erie Linux User Group would let the group move meetings
around, or at least InstallFests, to cover a wider base.

For ease of installations, it might be worth considering whether
wireless access is possible. A college campus may have restrictions on
setting up a wireless subnet. But then, maybe we could get access from
the school?

Finding a college crowd is definitely an asset. I don't know when
Mercyhurst's finals will be held. The end of April could be too close
the the end of the school's term. But, I would still take the risk.

So, my vote is for (A). No offense to Albion.

>             Second, the general GUM’s.  I think would at this time
> still be best held at the Blasco Library.  My #1 reason for this is
> that it’s super easy to get to, with little traffic for those coming
> in from out of town.  Second, we still have about 9 months of service
> left there.    Finally, they have been very accommodating to our
> needs.  I only bring this up because the same guy (Lukasz) has offered
> to have everything up at Mercyhurst.  So if he gets the Mercyhurst
> thing together that too will be an issue.

Blasco is a decent place to hold the GUM's. I like the location's
atmosphere, and it is very easy easy to get to. My only complaint about
the meeting room in Blasco is that the projector is hard to work with.
Putting on a presentation that everyone can see clearly is very
difficult. If that problem were resolved, we could stay there. If not,
then I see no reason yet why we shouldn't go to Mercyhurst for all
ErieLUG events. But that remains to be seen.

> Thank you for putting up with my current ranting.

Wow, Bill, you put that line in your .sig?

Thanks to all of you, too, for reading my ranting!