[wplug-bsd] RELENG_4 end of life

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 19 07:09:25 EST 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:13:41 -0400 (EDT)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I just found out that RELENG_4 (which I am running) reached its "end of
> >> life" on 31 January, and FreeBSD is recommending all users to upgrade to
> >> RELENG_6.
> >
> > 6.x is rock solid.  Maybe some of the Pair.com guys can offer a different
> > opinion, but I barely notice "major changes" as far as workstaions go. Just
> > pure performance, security, scalability.
> >

> Well, I look forward to it.
>
> If my understanding is correct, all I need to do is change RELENG_4 to
> RELENG_6 in my cvsup configfile, update my sources, and rebuild the world
> and kernel according to the handbook section 21.4.  Is this correct?
>
> Can I likely use the same kernel config as in 4.X?

With alterations.  The pseudo devices are gone, new options are
there, including subsystems (GEOM, etc).  Your best bet would
be to either diff and manually view the results, or take a
GENERIC kernel, strip it of devices you don't want, and boot
that.

Doing a 4->6 upgrade has been easy for some, yet near impossible
for others.  Their skills vary, of course, so it may have just
been "stupid" mistakes.  Otherwise, there shouldn't be much
reason to worry.  And now, there is a "make check-old" which
hunts down a list of files not in FreeBSD (it even respects
make.conf!).  There is also "make delete-old" to delete the
old binaries and "make delete-old-libs" which does the same
for libraries.  Though killing off the libraries may break some
installed software (ports collection stuff).

It'll be fun, trust me.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes