[wplug-bsd] Multiple Installs of Mailman for virtual hosts

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 8 19:46:35 EST 2007

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 09:40:47 -0500
"Michael Mulich" <mrmst13 at mail.rmu.edu> wrote:

> -
> I recently successfully installed Mailman, but let me go through what I did.  The 500-Internernal Server Error showed up as 'Premature end of script headers' in the error log file.  I tinkered around a bit to figure out if cgi in general was working, which it was.  Something led me to the conclusion that my apache configuration was wrong.  I had it configured as a 'ScriptAlias' under my virtual host for a specific domain.  I believe Mailman was running under the wrong gid...  I removed my changes and setup another virtual host section for listsrv.dom.ain including the 'ScriptAlias' and 'Alias' directives for mailman.  Did a fresh install with the following input.
> [input]
> make MM_DIR=mailman-dom.ain install clean
> [/input]
> I followed the rest of the installation guide and now it works.
> Notice that my make no longer include the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable, this is because it doesn't work (came to this conclusion by using the -V option to see the value of CONFIGURE_ARGS).  The Makefile does not allow concatenation to CONFIGURE_ARGS, because of the use of '=' and not '+='.  I would consider this an inconvenience since it still works, just not with the options I specify.  I ended up editing the mm_cfg.py file to get my settings correct.
> In conclusion I think the Makefile needs edited to allow these options.  I wanted to make an attempt at editing it, but I do not know what to do after its been edited...  I imagine I send a diff to someone at FreeBSD???  Then again, this is only my third or fourth time using the ports system; so I may not be highly qualified to make changes.  Let me know what you think and if you know what I should do next.
> Thank You.

[SNIP]: old content.

Ugh, sorry, I got thrown into work issues and meant to respond,
my bad.

You can send me a diff, if you'd like; however, it might be more
productive to get an idea of the entire issue.  Right now I just
have mailman, Makefile configure arguments are listed incorrectly?

Usually with ports Makefiles you can do:

make WITH_STUPID_GNU_OPTION=yes IGNORE_POSIX_BUG=yes install
to get extra options.  Have you tried that yet?

What is the output from the following:

echo $SHELL
ident /usr/ports/mail/mailman/Makefile (or ports mailman Makefile)
uname -a

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes