[wplug-bsd] Multiple Installs of Mailman for virtual hosts

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 5 21:10:50 EST 2007

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:51:50 -0500
"Michael Mulich" <mrmst13 at mail.rmu.edu> wrote:

> Hello-
> This is a fairly simple question I believe...  I'm doing multiple installs of Mailman on FreeBSD-4.7.  It is recommended by the documentation and list users that when doing virtual hosting each host have a separate install.  However I have not got past installing one instance successfully yet.  Currently I am wrestling with a 500-Internal Server Error when trying to access the Mailman web interface.
> I am pretty sure what I have to do is set the gid for the cgi user, which I attempted to do but it seems that it didn't take.  The following is what i used to install.
> [input]
> make PREFIX=/usr/local MM_DIR=mailman-fbrpgh.org CGI_GID=vusers CONFIGURE_ARGS+= \
> --with-urlhost=fbrpgh.org \
> --with-mailhost=fbrpgh.org \
> install clean
> [/input]
> This is my latest command entry, I have also tried using double-quotes around the CONFIGURE_ARGS value, but it wouldn't take either.  There must be something syntactically I am missing because I am fairly sure the arguments are correct.  It doesn't seem like the CGI_GID variable worked either.  I believe it stuck as the default: www.  Also, I know the arguments did not go through because post-install I look at <prefix>/Mailman/Defaults.py and found different different values than what I specified for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST.  Not a big deal because I know I can change them in mm_cfg.py, but I would still like to know the problem for future reference and other installs.
> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  Or recommendations?

What do the apache logs tell you?  A 500 error is usually a
script error of some type and sometimes the logs can explain
further what the issue is.

--
Tom Rhodes