[wplug-bsd] Re: UFS 2

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 27 23:16:39 EDT 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:03:52 -0400 (EDT)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your rapid response!
>
> ... so are you saying that I need to re-format the disk and re-copy my
> files, or can newfs -O 1 somehow 'remaster' the disk?

There are a few things you can do, each of them a bit dangerous:

1: Upgrade the 4.X machine.

2: Hack around the 4.X kernel to get minimal UFS1 support, diffing
the UFS code bases would help here but this is still dangerous.

3: Try to find a utility which could do the conversion (I don't
know of one).

4: Re-newfs the disk and recopy your data.

Sorry for the bad news Brandon.  :(

--
Tom Rhodes