[wplug-bsd] Patching a driver

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 18 00:01:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:33:46 -0400 (EDT)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Poyner, Brandon wrote:
>
> > Assuming your kernel config is named GENERIC, you should be able to
> > 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC -DNOCLEAN' while in /usr/src and use
> > the old objective files.  I don't see an option in /usr/src/Makefile for
> > building the modules only, but my system is pretty old.  It appears to
> > work for me, I was able to build a new ntfs.ko and kldload it, of course
> > I don't have a ntfs filesystem to try it out on.
>
> -DNOCLEAN, in combination with MODULES_OVERRIDE, worked.  Fantastic!
> Thanks a ton. Tomorrow I will probably put in Tom's fix instead.
>
> My only remaining question: given that I do want to notify the maintainer,
> how do I figure out who that is? Should I maybe send it to
> freebsd-fs at freebsd.org?
>
> Thanks, as always, for all your help,
> -Brandon

Ports should never modify the base files other than rare
cases (such as ssh, bind, etc.) where PORT_OVERWRITES_BASE
is defined.

As for NTFS in FreeBSD, I'm going to make some attempt at
putting my patch into the base system.  We'll see what
happens as there is no NTFS maintainer at present.

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes