[wplug-bsd] CUPSD and USB printer "USB Port Busy..."

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Sep 27 12:06:36 EDT 2005

> It's been 'retrying in 30 seconds' overnight.  Here's the status:
>
> bkuczens at cytoplasm bkuczens# lpstat -p -d
> printer LeDuc-Main-Printer now printing
> LeDuc-Main-Printer-24.  enabled
> since Jan 01 00:00
>          USB port busy; will retry in 30 seconds...
> system default destination: LeDuc-Main-Printer
> bkuczens at cytoplasm bkuczens# echo test > /dev/ulpt0
> /dev/ulpt0: Device busy.
>
> Upon disconnect and reconnect, dmesg | tail looks like this:
>
> ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
> ulpt0: detached
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp color LaserJet 2550 series, rev
> 2.00/1.00, addr
> 2, iclass 7/1
> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

I don't have a lot of advice from this point.  The kernel believes the
USB port is busy.  I found this post that seems to match what you are
describing:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001265.html

I would try to narrow down if this is a hardware bug.  Since this URL
indicates the Color Laserjet 2550 works fine under Linux, I'd try to
find a live CD that has CUPS included.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_2
550

Brandon Poyner