[wplug-bsd] 'dump' process on 'pause'

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed May 4 02:28:03 EDT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> I am performing a dump of my /usr drive to a file on backup server that is
> mounted via nfs.  I noticed that the size of the dump file size stopped
> growing about 15 minutes ago, at about 1.48 GB (just over halfway done).
> Running 'top', I see that the process is on 'pause'.
>
> Origin system (the one runnign the 'dump' command) is runnign FreeBSD 4.10.
> Destination system (nfs server) is running Debian.
>
> Should I be alarmed?
>
> Is there a way to send a signal to a paused process, maybe with 'kill', to
> tell it to restart?

Problem solved.  For some reason my inet connection on the destination box
had reverted from its assigned static IP to a dynamic IP address it had
previously acquired.  Reconfigured the interface, and everything came back
(including the dump) (even though the ssh session that had started it had
terminated when the IP address went bad).

1.6 Gigs and going strong.

-Brandon