[wplug-bsd] overzealous upgrade all the way to CURRENT?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 10 14:38:48 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:18:37 -0500
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Duncan Hutty <dhutty+wplug-bsd at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > Further tales of Duncan's dabblings with the Beastie-5.3:

Bill got all the questions before me ... good show Bill.  Everyone
is pretty lucky I was sleeping during this email.

Anyway, buildworld should NOT be a pre-requisite to a build/install
kernel.  If you ever get errors like:

config improper version, need version X (or similar),
building an up to date make

then your version of source is out of date with the binaries
installed.

DANGER!  DANGER!  WILL ROBENSON!  Your machine may have some
issues if you have upgraded to current and have NOT merged over
new configuration files.  Please:

cd /usr/src/ && rm /etc/rc.d/* && mergemaster -i

before your next CVSup if you intend to continue running CURRENT.
Otherwise, CVSup the 5.3 branch and begin your downgrade
proper.

--
Tom Rhodes