[wplug-bsd] Dumb question: "no route to host" but why?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Jul 7 15:56:47 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Poyner, Brandon wrote:

> Ok, from the output of your ifconfig, you can see why FreeBSD isn't
> happy with the route.
>
>>          media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
>>          status: no carrier
>
> That should say something more like:
>
>        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>        status: active
>

> server.  I think I've sometimes made it work by moving the cards to
> other PCI slots, and always made it work by using a mismatch of brands.
> Also check for link light and/or try switching the cable.

Well crap.  I have four (4) xl-type cards, and no two of them work
together.  I have one other el cheapo card but FreeBSD can't find a driver
for it.  I'm pretty pissed off that I can't get a simple two-NIC server
working when I have 5 NICs.

By the way, I now have 'status: active' on both cards (I assume that comes
from switching around the PCI slots), but I still don't get a route.

Do you have any other suggestions, or do I actually have to go to the
store and buy another NIC?  How can I tell from the packaging whether it's
going to be an xl-driven card?

-Brandon