[wplug-bsd] Dumb question: "no route to host" but why?

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Wed Jul 6 19:42:54 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 07:19 pm, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I am configuring a system running FreeBSD 5.3 to act as a NAT gateway.  It
> receives its real-world IP address over dhcp on interface xl1 and acts as
> a dhcp server to the internal network on interface xl0.

> After startup, I can talk to the outside world but when I try to ping a
> destination that should lie on the internal network I get "no route to
> host."

Have you configured it to act as a router?

Go into /stand/sysinstall -- post install Configuration -- Networking --
Gateway.

I think the system has to be told to forward packets across interfaces.  Even
though it could just send one out on xl0, it trys to give it to xl1, which
then knows to route it to xl0.  (I think).

Just a thought,

Mike