[wplug-bsd] Periodic -- phantom email

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Jan 8 13:44:00 EST 2005

About a month ago I added a new script to my /etc/periodic/security
directory.  The script looks through the security log for notations
regarding people updating their IMAP passwords, and it's nothing special.
It works fine.

The day after I installed it, I began to get these mysterious emails at
4:42 AM (exactly when my periodic daily functions run).  The emails are
>From root and not to anybody, so the mail daemon rejects them saying "no
recipients specified".  There is no content to the emails, either, just
mail from root to........... ?

The only clue I have is that I get the email every day at 4:42 AM without
fail.  The periodic scripts take several minutes to run, and I don't get
those outputs until 4:45 or 4:46, but the phantom email always comes right
at 4:42 (or possibly 4:42:01)

Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this?  I already tried removing the
script that I added that day, but I still got the email last night/this
morning.

Thanks in Advance,
Brandon