[wplug-bsd] free firewall/experimentation machine

Dan Pelleg daniel+wplug at pelleg.org
Thu Feb 24 12:42:10 EST 2005

I have an old - but extremely functional - machine that I need to get rid
of. I will give it to a subscriber of this list which will promise to at
least try to make good use of it.

It is a Pentium 100Mhz (more precisely, it's a P54C for those who know
enough x86 history to appreciate the fact). The thing with 100Mhz machines,
they hardly require any cooling, and so they're very quiet. The box (a
standard tower) is made by DEC, RIP. They sure knew how to build 'em.

It has 48MB of memory, a 2GB disk, floppy, CD-ROM, 3 ethernet interfaces, a
fax/modem card, 2 serial, 1 parallel , and, um, inspecting the back panel,
also some kind of sound card. Whatever. It will require a keyboard to boot
(I'll give you one).

I've used it as a firewall/home router/traffic shaper/VoIP gatekeeper, mail
server, and occasional fax sending. Here is the current uptime:
12:33PM up 392 days, 4:10, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

As you can see, it's very stable. Currently running freebsd-4.9. I do not
recommend building world on it (I always installed from a NFS-mounted
world). Also, ISTR some issue with installing from CD-ROM.

Email me if you want it.

--Dan