[wplug-bsd] Verification of a dump archive?

Larry Daberko larry at daberko.com
Tue Dec 13 10:51:45 EST 2005

Hi,
	I'm trying to find a way to verify a dump archive.  I'm backing up my
FreeBSD systems using dump, piped over ssh to a remote backup server.
I've read that there's no way to compare the dump contents with the disk
contents so I figured it would be sufficient to test the archive by
recovering a file.
	In the backup script, I create a datestamp.txt file immediately before
the dump and delete it after the dump.  On the remote host, I can
restore the datestamp.txt file easily by hand.  But I haven't figured
out a way to automate this check.
	Is there a way to have restore work without operator intervention or am
I going about this the wrong way?

-Larry Daberko