[wplug-bsd] portsdb -Uu error!

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Aug 3 07:06:06 EDT 2005

Karlos Abel <lists at voidship.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Here's the entire log of any/all error messages I get:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~START~CUT~~~~~~~~
> portsdb -Uu
> Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..*** Error
> code
> 1
> 1 error

> Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
> version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
> have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
> not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
> particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
> collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
> report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
> details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
> your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
> settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).
>
> Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
> automatically with "make fetchindex".
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports.
> failed to generate INDEX!
> portsdb: index generation error
>
> ~~~~~~~~~END~CUT~~~~~~~~
>

> Any ideas?  I'm at a complete loss without more verbose error messages.
>
> I've tried portsdb -F, -fu, all of it.  I'm baffled.

This is a pretty common problem.

I suggest "cd /usr/ports && make fetchindex", which will download the
latest portsdb index that successfully built.

Because of the size of the ports tree, and the fact that it's constantly
changing, it's frequently impossible to build the index.  If you really
want to build it yourself, just re-cvsup and try again, but it's probably
less network traffic to do make fetchindex.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies