[wplug-bsd] ports aren't upgrading

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Nov 19 22:01:07 EST 2004

I think I forgot how to do something.  First of all, there have been a lot
of insecurities reported recently in ports I have installed (I'm up to 10
now) and I was going to fix some of them tonight.  But when I tried to
portupgrade xpdf, I got the report of a stale dependency.  It said to "run
pkgdb -F to fix", except pkgdb -F just asks me what to do about the
dependency, and I don't know.

Then I got anxious about my package database not getting updated
automatically, and I couldn't find anywhere in my /etc/periodic directory
where pkgdb was run, even though I was almost *certain* that it was
running regularly.  It's not in /etc/crontab, and:

$ cd /etc/periodic
$ grep -ri pkgdb *
$

gives no results.  Does this get done somewhere else?  Is my package
database not getting updated?

And what do I do about the failed dependencies?  Here's the output from
pkgdb -F:

[root at ocean periodic]# pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
Duplicated origin: textproc/p5-XML-Parser - bsdpan-XML-Parser-2.34
p5-XML-Parser-2.34_1
Unregister any of them? [no]
Duplicated origin: mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin -
bsdpan-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63 p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.64
Unregister any of them? [no]
Stale dependency: epiphany-1.2.3 -> mozilla-1.6_4,2 (www/mozilla):
New dependency? (? to help):
Skip this? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]
Skipped.
Stale dependency: gnome2-lite-2.6.0 -> mozilla-1.6_4,2 (www/mozilla):
Skip this? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]
Stale dependency: samba-3.0.5,1 -> heimdal-0.6.1 (security/heimdal):
New dependency? (? to help):
Skip this? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]
Skipped.
Stale dependency: xpdf-3.00_4 -> gsfonts-8.11_2 (print/gsfonts):
New dependency? (? to help):
Skip this? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]
Skipped.
[root at ocean periodic]#