[wplug-bsd] Fdisk? formatting ext2 partitions as ufs

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Nov 5 07:35:26 EST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 03:16:01 -0500 (EST)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Bill Moran wrote:
>

> > > So no fdisk - all I need to do is newfs?  Ahh, that's lovely.
> >
> > I don't think so.  At the most, you may have to use fdisk to change the
> > partition type from ext2 to ufs, but newfs may do that for you.  I can't
> > see any need to repartition in any event.
> >

> I did actually need to do a little bit of work.  I used /stand/sysinstall
> to reType the drives, but that didn't work -- I had to delete and recreate
> the slices, and then use disklabel to create the partitions (to which it
> automatically assigned the label 'e' -- go fig).  But then it newfs'd them
> just fine.

I'm surprised.  It could have something to do with the slice/partition thing
that FreeBSD does differently than just about everyone else.

It's interesting to see that this is changing in 5.  5 has a much better
idea of different methods of partition than just about anything out there.

> And I performed some major maintenance, without losing a single byte! as
> far as I know.  I am now running an all-ufs system.

Well done.  It's nice to know that folks can figure this out and get it
right on the first try!