[wplug-bsd] cvsup and portupgrade

Daryl Clevenger dlc+wplug-bsd at cs.cmu.edu
Mon May 24 18:37:32 EDT 2004

Dan,

> Daryl Clevenger <dlc+wplug-bsd at cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > % uname -v
> > FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon Oct 27 17:51:09 GMT 2003     root at freebsd-stabl
> e.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >
> > After the hints and advice from 1.5 months ago, I decided to
> > try and upgrade /usr/ports and some of the packages.  I appreciate
> > everyones feedback.  All of it was very helpful.
> >
> > For various reasons, I would rather not compile anything.
> >
> > The results have been less than I expected.  I have not poked around the
> > ftp site(s) to see what is really there.
> >
> > Here are the steps and results
> >
> > 1. cvsup -g -L 1 /root/sup/ports/supfile
> > 3. portupgrade -PP -R -b -a
> >
> > --->  Checking the availability of the latest package of 'converters/libico
> nv'
> > --->  Fetching the package(s) for 'libiconv-1.9.1_3' (converters/libiconv)
> > --->  Fetching libiconv-1.9.1_3
> > fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.9-release/Al
> l/libiconv-1.9.1_3.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> > ** The command returned a non-zero exit status: 1
> > ** Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.
> 9-release/All/libiconv-1.9.1_3.tgz
>
> I don't think they update the packages built for releases. When 4.9 came
> out, the libiconv version was 1.9.1_1. This I determined by looking at:

> Another option is to just get that 1.9.1_3 file and hope it works. There's
> probably a switch to pkg_add or to portupgrade to fetch from the
> packages-4-stable subdirectory. However, that seems risky in terms of
> dependencies (especially if the dependency is on something in the base
> system, so portupgrade won't be able to just fetch it recursively).
>

> > Questions:
> >
> > 2. Should I abandon my folly of trying to do 'portupgrade -PP' and
> >    build package upgrades?
>
> You "should" be ok if you stick with matched pairs of the the ports tree
> and the freebsd version. Unfortunately, this means there's not much
> upgrading you can do.

This is close to what I have observed.

> > 4. Similarly, I am having problems since I am not tracking -STABLE or
> >    -CURRENT.  Slow changing "RELENG" releases are fine with me.
> >

> I think the intersection of people who:
>  a. stick with releases
>  b. update their ports
>  c. want prebuilt packages
>
> is very small. So there aren't very good solutions for this case.

Of course, I'm an oddball :-).  I easily believe "abc".

> > 5. What am I missing?  Should this procedure be less chatty?
> >
> > I will probably try doing "portupgrade -PR" to see how that goes.

> There are good upgrade paths for the base system, but ports aren't
> supported at the same level. I think the best option freebsd currently
> offers for what you want is to do binary upgrades whenever a new release
> comes out. Relax any of the requirements (a-c) above and you'll have more
> options.

After sending my original message, I in fact decided to relax the
requirements.  I have a

portupgrade -P -R -b -a

chugging away.  The process appears to be going smoothly, except

===>  Configuring for ghostscript-gnu-7.07_6

and now my system (at home; I'm at work) is sitting in a curses UI
waiting for input.  Hmm, rather hard to satisfy it.  I don't see
anything in the portupgrade(1) man page to disable this.  Of course,
the right answer might be that I should let it prompt for input.

I'll see how things go.

Thank you Dan.  Again, thanks to everyone for all of your help.

--
Daryl Clevenger
dlc at cs.cmu.edu