[wplug-bsd] MySQL Command Center on Windows can't connect to MySQL 4.1 on FreeBSD 5.2-RC1

Robert L. Jeffries rl_jeffries at comcast.net
Sat May 15 16:25:39 EDT 2004

Hello all,
I'm running FreeBSD 5.2 RC-1. I've installed MySQL 4.1 server and client
via /usr/ports/databases/mysql.../make, and it installed without a
hitch.
The MySQL service is running, and I can connect using the local client,
and I've been doing most of the work of the network via SSH.
I can't connect to the service using mysqlcc. After trying many things,
I've been getting the same to errors separately, from mysqlcc.
ERROR 2005: Unknown MySQL Server Host (11001), and,
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.
The latter of these two being more prevalent.

I've been doing my configuration/setup using the usual files ( my.cnf,
hosts, hosts.allow, )
Some settings in particular:
In /etc/my.cnf (which is a renamed my-medium.cnf), as per suggestion
that I've found via google, I've set the max_allowed_packet=16M instead
of 1M
I have all the hosts concerned hosts on my LAN listed in hosts, and
hosts.allow.
I've granted myself sufficient privileges in via the mysql-client/SSH
with:
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'me'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION;
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'me'@'xxx.xxx.xxx' WITH GRANT OPTION;
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'me'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;
(me=username AND/OR root).

I've nmap'd the server IP address and see that the default port of 3306
is there to accept my connection.

I've gone through a couple books that I have on MySQL, I've read the
docs - online and local --, I've searched the web and the groups, and
I've come up with more bug declarations then anything else.

Any ideas?

Thank you, in advance,
Rob Jeffries