[wplug-bsd] new install: postfix

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Jul 20 21:55:34 EDT 2004

> For what it's worth, I can't resolve ocean.301south.net either from
> here. Did you mean to have an entry for it in /etc/hosts?

Yes -- sorry -- ocean is behind a firewall and resolves only because mud
has an /etc/hosts entry.  This also explains why unix.andrew.cmu.edu
rejected my mail -- because it couldn't find ocean.301south.net either.
There is probably a way to configure postfix to set its envelope return
address to be simply '301south.net' when sending out-of-network... hmm..

> The 1777 protection error message is quirkiness with the c-client
> library that Pine uses.  It wants to be able to create temporary lock
> files in /var/mail with the user's permission level (not normally
> allowed, obviously).  You can tell pine to ignore that error by enabling
> quell-lock-failure-warnings in your configuration.

Well, this doesn't make sense -- I'm running PINE on redhat on mud right
now, and mud:/var/spool/mail has the same permissions (drwxrwxr-x root mail)
as ocean:/var/mail has.  I checked my config and
quell-lock-failure-warnings is not set here.  The only difference is that
ocean has pine v4.58 and mud has pine v4.44.  Is there any way to get
around this that doesn't seem like such a hack?

> > However, I have sent a whole bunch of mail, from b at mud and from
> > b at ocean, to root at ocean, and none of it has shown up anywhere nor gotten
> > bounced.  I am pretty perplexed about that.
>
> What does postqueue -p tell you?  If the queue is empty, then your mail
> is going _somewhere_.  It's possible that local delivery is not set up
> as you expect, and your mail programs are looking in a different location
> than Posfix is?  (I'm kind of grasping at straws ...)

Well, I discovered something.  /var/log/maillog tells me that everything
was "sent" through "|/usr/local/bin/procmail" which is exactly what I
wanted.  The queue is empty.  All the mail has gone into /var/mail/nobody
for some reason.  I suppose it could be a procmail configuration issue.
Anyone here use procmail?  I've been using it (with no setup except a
.procmailrc in my home directory) on Linux without problems (other users
do not have .procmailrc files and they also get their mail).

Anyway, I put /var/mail/nobody and /var/log/maillog on the web because I
thought some of you who were really bored might want to take a look.
THey're in http://301south.net/stuff .  I am slowly getting answers;
thanks everyone, and TIA for anything further.  I will pound on these
things and look for some more specific questions.

-Brandon