[wplug-bsd] new install: postfix

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Jul 20 01:16:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I modified /etc/rc.conf to include:
> > sendmail_enable="NO"
>
> This should be:
> sendmail_enable="NONE"

This definitely eliminated the bootup problem and postfix seems to be
running (though I can't say 'normally' just yet).

> > and then created a link in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:
> > # ln -s /usr/local/sbin/postfix postfix.sh
>
> A little unconventional, but it should work.

Since I want to do things the right way, what is it?

> Eww ... that's gross.

Sorry.  I have, occasionally, gotten extremely frustrated working with
OSOSs and this was verging on one of those times, largely because I had
allayed my fears all week on vacation about postfix by saying "look, it
will be simple.  All you have to do is turn off sendmail in rc.conf and
put that symlink in that one startup directory, whatever it is, and then
you can work the other problems out once postfix is at least RUNNING."
But there are obviously still some critical aspects of this system that I
do not understand.

> /var/log/maillog is a good place to look.  Check the output of "sockstat -4"
> to see if the Postfix process "master" is listening on port 25.  General
> system stuff will be in /var/log/messages, just like on Linux.

Ah, sockstat looks like it will be useful (doesn't exist on linux).  For
example, syslogd should only be listening on localhost:514 and not *:514
right?  Anyway, master is there on *:25 like it should be.

However, inter-host mail delivery seems to have some snags.  I can send
mail from root at ocean to b at mud, using PINE, iff I set the smtp-server
setting to '301south.net', but not 'ocean.301south.net' which perplexes me
(it tells me that there's no such host as ocean.301south.net, even though
that's exactly what the local hostname is).  For the sake of my users, I
want to minimize the required configuration of PINE (to zero, ideally) so
this will have to be worked out, but for now it's okay.

However, I have sent a whole bunch of mail, from b at mud and from
b at ocean, to root at ocean, and none of it has shown up anywhere nor gotten
bounced.  I am pretty perplexed about that.

One last thing -- when mail gets delivered to b at ocean's mailbox, PINE
gives me the warning "folder /var/mail must have 1777 protection" which I
don't understand, since if /var/mail isn't world readable then b can't
even read his mail.

I am closing up for the night because I have gotten the system -- say --
25% working and, frankly, that feels pretty good.  But I'll be back on it
tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and being patient with my frustration -- I'm working on
toning it down.

-Brandon