[wplug-bsd] new install: postfix

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 20 00:24:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:45:41 -0400 (EDT)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> I don't understand what is going on.
>
> A week ago at the installfest I installed FreeBSD 4.10 on a fresh box and
> took another step further from institutionalized corporatism and into a
> world where my computer is in my control.
>
> or so I hoped/thought.
>
> I've enjoyed working with FreeBSD so far but I am just stuck.  I installed
> postfix from the port, except now everything seems to be completely
> hosed.  I don't know what more to say except that on bootup I get this
> error:
>
> Jul 19 23:16:33 ocean postfix/sendmail[102]: fatal: usage: sendmail [options]
>
> Here's what I did.  The install included sendmail by default.  I installed
> postfix from the port, modified the config file (main.cf -- I didn't touch

Couldn't you just disable Sendmail through the rc.conf option?

Check out the rc.sendmail manual page.

> master.cf because I couldn't find anything that told me to) to my liking,
> and then took a week vacation.  When I returned (effectively today) I
> wanted to really start postfix.  For reasons that can be best described
> as "grasping at straws" I ran "/usr/ports/mail/postfix/make deinstall"
> and then make install, this time answering 'y' to the question of
> whether I want to modify mailer.conf.
>
> I modified /etc/rc.conf to include:
> sendmail_enable="NO"
>
> and then created a link in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:
> # ln -s /usr/local/sbin/postfix postfix.sh
>
> which I thought meant that the program would start up by itself.
>
> But it doesn't, and the only hint I get is that error on bootup, and the
> fact that when I try to send mail PINE tells me "error 421 SMTP connection
> went away!"
>
> Running 'mail b at anearbyhost' works (b at anearbyhost gets his mail).
>
> I have utterly no idea what to do next, no idea what logs to look at or
> what services to start.  The fact that the postfix executable is also
> called 'sendmail' is an act of devilish insanity so perverse that I can
> only laugh at the frustration that is creeping up, like bile, in my
> throat.  Please, please help me.

Why not run sysinstall(8) and select the postfix install option?

That functionality was added by Simon and I about one or two
releases ago.  Then, all you should need to do is alter the
configuration file.

--
Tom Rhodes