[wplug-bsd] x86 emulation on an x86 platform in FreeBSD

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Mon Jan 12 12:49:22 EST 2004

I'm trying to get a copy of Win2k running on top of FreeBSD (a CAD
program I need to run is only available for Windows).

I've used VMWare 4 on Linux, but it seems as if the VMWare port is
unmaintained (server ports only up to 3.x, which is non-working on my
system).

I've seen that Bochs is an option, but this fully emulates the x86
processor, whereas, I already have one. As a result, the guest OS would
run slower than necessary.

I thought that Plex86 (Savannah project, not plex86.org) might be an
option, but it isn't in the ports collection.

Has anyone had any success running a modern x86-on-x86 emulator such as
VirtualPC, VMWare, Plex86, etc under FreeBSD? If so, any help or
pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
  --Ben