[wplug-bsd] point of clarification

Dan Pelleg daniel+wplug at pelleg.org
Fri Dec 10 06:53:33 EST 2004

Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> writes:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:52:12 -0500 (EST)
>> Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
>>
>> > .. what is "RELENG_4"?  How do I "get the latest of" it?
>> >
>> > ref: /usr/ports/UPDATING
>> >

>> RELENG_4 is the FreeBSD stable CVS branch for the 4.X releases,
>> you can get the latest through CVSup:
>>
>> /usr/ports/net/cvsup (on some systems is cvsup-16h or something)
>> /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
>>

> Okay -- it was just a question of terminology.  It was a hard thing to
> google for.  I was afraid I would have to do the equivalent of upgrade the
> kernel to get the "latest RELENG-4".
>
> Which is better: to "make fetchindex" or to "portsdb -U"?  I mean, it
> seems that the former is faster, but the latter can be performed without
> network connectivity, but it takes forever.  I'm writing a cron script -
> which should I use?
>
> -Brandon

Allegedly, portindex can do fast updates and does not need network
connectivity beyond what you need for cvsup in the first place.

Note I did not test it yet (only the initial build, which is very, very
slow). It's a port (p5-FreeBSD-Portindex), but it's fairly new in it's
current form, so you might need to cvsup for it first. The instructions are
at:

http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/

--

  Dan Pelleg