[wplug-bsd] Lost message: question about ports

Dan Pelleg daniel+wplug at pelleg.org
Mon Aug 16 22:41:45 EDT 2004

Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> writes:

> So it doesn't seem to be noticing the presence of fresher port files.  Is
> there another port command I'm missing, to upgrade the port data itself?

Exactly. The ports' skeletons (what to download, where from, how to patch
and build it, etc), are in /usr/ports. Portupgrade works with respect to
that. And if the appropriate directory under /usr/ports says the
spamassassin version is 2.63, that's what an upgrade will give you. The end
result is that, confusingly, you need to update that ports tree before you
try to update your ports.

To do that, pick a cvsup server[*], in this example cvsup6.FreeBSD.org, and
run:

cvsup -h cvsup6.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

This will take a while, depending on your bandwidth and how much up-to-date
you are.

For that wo work, you will need cvsup, which is a port itself. The easiest
way to get it is "pkg_add -r cvsup" or "pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui", as
appropriate. See handbook section A.5.

* To find a good CVSUP server, use the fastest_cvsup utility (it's a
port).

--

  Dan Pelleg