[wplug-bsd] /usr/ports maintenance mechanisms

Dan Pelleg daniel+wplug at pelleg.org
Fri Apr 9 09:17:24 EDT 2004

dlc+wplug-bsd at cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Hello,
>
> A FreeBSD 4.9 system with "everything" from the distribution installed.

[....]

By now it seems most points were covered, so I have very little to
contribute. I don't think the following were mentioned:

1. Browse the ports collection, CVSweb, and get email notification when
your favorite ports change: http://www.freshports.org/

2. *binary* security patches to the *base* system:
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/

3. Machine-readable vulnerability database for ports, with front-ends for
(a) web and (b) a program to check the versions locally installed:
http://www.freshports.org/security/portaudit/

I didn't try [2] or [3] yet. In particular [2] is still a volunteer project
(ie, the patches are not official). [3] is done in some cooperation with
the freebsd security officer.

Also, some background on the package build process: the build cluster is
underpowered so things aren't built as often as desired. There's a rewrite
of the software to run on top of Sun's GridEngine. When that happens, and
assuming there are donations of remote processor time, things will probably
change for the better.

--

  Dan Pelleg