[wplug-bsd] FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE Printer Issues (PROBLEM IDENTIFIED)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Nov 20 16:22:24 EST 2003

Benjamin Slavin wrote:
> Well, sir, I think we've found the problem.
>
> It prints terribly slowly, but at 4k/sec, this is to be expected.
>
> Now, to get lpd to limit itself to that speed. I assume that, since it
> spools the job to disk before printing, this buffer needs to sit between
> LPD and the printer, not between the filter and LPD. I attempted to hack
> together a simple shell script to do this, thinking that by setting
> lp=/path/to/script, the script would take the data to be printed via
> STDIN, but found that it just wrote over the file instead.
>
> Any recommendations for this last step?

Possibly point the output filter (of=) in /etc/printcap.  That should
cause it to treat it like a script instead of writing to it as a file.

I'm not sure if the timing is such that it will work or not, though.

Additionally, while this is a good workaround, there's obviously still
a problem with the USB.  Did you manage to upgrade FreeBSD as Tom had
suggested?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies