[wplug-bsd] Password oddity

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Tue Dec 2 21:47:34 EST 2003

Sorry if I was ambiguous as to what is happening.

It's not really a problem, but it's a "very strange thing." I can use my
system without any problems, and can login as any user and su to root
(on the appropriate accounts).

Say my password is "12345678". When I'm at a login prompt on the console
or via ssh, I can type in 12345678[insert anything here] and still login
(eg "12345678935406876846" will be accepted). This can be reproduced for
any non-root user (using the appropriate password). Root for some reason
behaves properly (that is, if root's password is 87654321, and 876543210
is entered, login will not happen).

  --Ben