[wplug-bsd] Password oddity

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Tue Dec 2 20:39:11 EST 2003

Good evening, all,

I just rebooted my system in an effort to upgrade FreeBSD to 4.9-STABLE
(hoping to solve PPPoE and printer problems). When I went to login, I
was on the phone and was reading a URL to a friend... as a result, I
accidentally tacked ".com" on the end of my password. I expected to have
to re-type it, but was shocked when I ended-up at a login prompt.

Does anyone know why this might happen? I can append at lest a dozen
characters to the end of my password, and it will still work. Also, it
will only work for non-root accounts.

  --Ben