[wplug-board] WPLUG Board meeting 17 Sep

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Sep 21 19:19:08 EDT 2015

The interruptions and noise are part of it - but only part.  I don't
think the seating is adequate for a presentation (though I have to
admit, the way the tables were rearranged for the last GUM made things
better) - it's uncomfortable.  I would personally rather see
presentations happen in a facility that has rows of seating that all
face front.  When you were giving your presentation this past Saturday,
you had to balance your laptop on a ladder because there wasn't a better
place to put it...  I think HackPittsburgh is fabulous as a workshop, as
a place to do hackfests and to get "hands-on" and work on projects.  But
it's noisy, and disruption-prone, because we have to share the shop with
other users (the "real" HackPittsburgh members - I acknowledge that
we're just guests there, and I'm grateful for their hospitality...).
Given the nature of HackPittsburgh's mission, I can definitely
understand that they can't just "shut the shop down" for 4 hours on a
weekend afternoon (prime project time) to accommodate us, they have
stuff they need to get done.   I just don't (personal opinion...) think
it's a good choice for doing a presentation, if there are any better
options available.   (And admittedly, sometimes there aren't....)

Point Park isn't available to us (PACC can only meet there because they
have a faculty sponsor, and the university actually makes them carry a
pretty big liability insurance policy in order to meet there - that is
why they are starting to think about other space, with their faculty
sponsor getting ready to retire), so at least that is one that we don't
need to consider.

I do have the space at IBM booked for the original date, and could try
to move it.  Though if we don't have a presentation on the agenda, it's
probably not necessary to even consider that.  I would need to defer to
Vance on this, who's been the closest in communication with the
potential speaker.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about WSCC, I'm on record as
stating that that's not a great place to run a presentation, either, and
I did get a little more unhappy with them as we started getting into
situations where they didn't have space available to accommodate us when
we asked about it (though I admittedly don't feel as strongly about the
matter - I'm definitely not of the opinion that I won't show up if we
plan a meeting at WSCC, I just think that if there are other options
available, they should be considered...).  If I had to choose between
doing a presentation at WSCC and meeting at HackPittsburgh, if those
were the only two choices in consideration, I have to admit I'd probably
go with HackPittsburgh (unless it was strictly a "speaking" presentation
without a projector, in which case I would lean towards WSCC). Though
that's all hypothetical, since we aren't needing to choose only between
those two options....

--Pat.