[wplug-board] Wiki cleanup

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Sun Jun 29 16:49:52 EDT 2014

Great job, Vance! The front page looks much less cluttered.

Vance shouldn't be the only one to do this sort of work, of course. As we
move forward with our plans to migrate to CentOS 7, we should all try to
experiment with ideas for how we can give our Web site a thorough facelift.

Don't forget that I can still call in a favor from Gretchen, one of our video
producers at Pittsburgh Filmmakers. In exchange for me setting up her
Android tablet, she offered to make a short promotional video for WPLUG.

When Beth Lynn was in town last year, she told me that giving out Open
Badges[1] might encourage people to contribute to the wiki. Badges don't
necessarily have to be mere decorations; they can be a way for people to
prove that they've done good work in WPLUG.

In a professional context. that would give employers a simple way to verify
that someone has been involved with WPLUG in a significant capacity. A
novice Web designer could say "I helped redesign WPLUG.org, and here's
the proof." When I was looking for work last year, I told people I was on the
WPLUG board, but not everyone is involved in a way that can be so easily
verified.

It'd be a good way for us to get exposure, too: people can share badges
on blogs, social media, and so on.

Let's put our heads together and keep thinking.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Any fool can use a computer. Many do."/

--------
[1] http://openbadges.org/