[wplug-board] Board meeting absence

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Jun 22 19:48:09 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 06:14:37PM -0400, Joe Prostko wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Justin Smith <justin at adminix.net> wrote:
> > Due to a memory lapse on my part, I won't be able to attend the board
> > meeting on Tuesday.

OK, I guess that means I'm on the hot seat.  :)

> > I suggest that we focus on Git. I'm pretty sure that everyone who attends
> > WPLUG knows what a revision control system is, but they might not know how
> > to use one to its full potential, and Git has a lot of exposure.
>
> As much as I personally dislike Git, yes, I think going this direction
> is a good idea.

Pat, were you taking the lead on arranging this?  I know you and
Joe were working on a possible presentation, and that you had some
discussion with Charles Butler about it also.  Please be prepared
to report the current status on Tuesday.

> > We ought to consider having a "UNIX family reunion" like I talked about
> > previously. Think about all the paths UNIX has taken: Linux, BSD, Solaris,
> > and that's not even counting proprietary UNIX. I think it would be fun to
> > mix it up with our distant relatives in UNIX-dom.

Some options to look into: CMU has used Unix for a loooong time
(some people were still using IRIX as late as 6 or 7 years ago).
Also, pair networks is very strong on FreeBSD.  A couple of our
former members, Bill Moran (still in the area, AFAIK) and Tom
Rhodes (Washington, DC now I think) were contributors to FreeBSD.

> > I support moving the WPLUG.org VPS to the $10/month Linode plan.
[snip]

> As an FYI, CentOS 7 ships with Apache 2.4.6, PHP 5.4.16, and MariaDB
> 5.5.35 in its repositories.

Would you mind contributing that info to the new wiki page
<http://www.wplug.org/wiki/2014_Server_Migration>?  I also posted
this link to the wplug-internet list.  Please make any more
contributions to the page that you see missing.  Thanks!

See you all (except Justin) this Tuesday at 7:00 at IBM Squirrel
Hill!