[wplug-board] Board meeting absence

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Sun Jun 22 17:53:40 EDT 2014

Due to a memory lapse on my part, I won't be able to attend the board meeting on Tuesday. My family is celebrating Father's Day a bit late this year because my sister, who lives out of the area, couldn't make it home until - you guessed it - Tuesday. I'll let you all handle planning for the GUM in July and the other business. Just for reference, here are my thoughts on our current business:

I suggest that we focus on Git. I'm pretty sure that everyone who attends WPLUG knows what a revision control system /is/, but they might not know how to use one to its full potential, and Git has a lot of exposure.

We ought to consider having a "UNIX family reunion" like I talked about previously. Think about all the paths UNIX has taken: Linux, BSD, Solaris, and that's not even counting proprietary UNIX. I think it would be fun to mix it up with our distant relatives in UNIX-dom.

I support moving the WPLUG.org VPS to the $10/month Linode plan. What Vance said about being able to simply "yum install" or "apt-get install" software should be given consideration. Yes, we could migrate to CentOS 7, but we might have to start compiling software we use in the not too distant future, and that's bothersome. Debian and Ubuntu have larger repositories and allow you to easily pull more recent versions. OpenSUSE does, too, but Linode doesn't offer it, and I think I'm the only one who actually likes it. Ha!

-Justin