[wplug-board] Linode has a $10 plan

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Jun 16 11:41:19 EDT 2014

On 6/16/2014 11:26 AM, Justin Smith wrote:

> Ah. I wasn't even aware that anything like preupgrade existed. Well,
> with that feather in our cap, I'm perfectly fine sticking with CentOS.
> It looks like they've already released preliminary builds of CentOS 7.

Yeah, it took me a long time to find preupgrade too.  It is always
confused me why Red Hat doesn't 1) publicize it more, and 2) install it
by default.

Of course, I don't know if even preupgrade would help us on a
Linode-hosted VPS - because they don't actually give you a "full"
virtual machine (with a BIOS and all, that can "boot" like a physical
machine), they load the kernel "out of band" and start it. So the kernel
actually doesn't get loaded from the disk image. Which I'm sure would
make a preupgrade-based upgrade scenario ... interesting.  In that you
could wind up with a shiny new upgraded installation, but still running
the old kernel....

Not sure if Digital Ocean does this differently.

--Pat.

P.S.  If you get some time, could you repost the Linode information you
posted to wplug-internet?  I would be interested in hearing the larger
Technology Committee (and other followers...) take on the new Linode
plan....