[wplug-board] Linode has a $10 plan

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Mon Jun 16 10:39:44 EDT 2014

I just saw this on Hacker News: https://www.linode.com/pricing[1]

It looks like Linode came through with a low-cost plan after all! It's about
half as expensive as what we're currently paying. The new plan
compared to our current plan:

*1 full core vs 8 virtual cores w/low priority
*1GB RAM vs 1GB RAM
*24GB SSD storage vs 24GB hard disk storage
*2TB transfer bandwidth vs 2TB transfer bandwidth

We'd have less CPU power, but as Vance has said, the only intensive
task we run on the server is Litecoin mining. I'd be willing to stop mining
and sell what Litecoin we've accumulated. The real bottleneck in most
computers is the hard drive, so moving to an SSD-based VPS would, in
my opinion, make much more of a difference than having 8 virtual cores
with low priority.

It's worth mentioning that Digital Ocean[2] has one-upped Linode's $10
plan: it offers 30GB of disk space instead of 24GB. Everything else is
identical.

I'm excited about moving WPLUG.org to a new server, but I'm not looking
forward to migrating our data. That's my only gripe with CentOS. Since
our participation rate is still a bit low, we may want to consider
something Debian-based so that future upgrades, if necessary, can go
a bit smoother. I'm not a Debian aficionado, myself, but it may work out
long-term.

Let's talk about this tomorrow evening.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees.
That'll do them in!"/
/-Author Unknown/

--------
[1] https://www.linode.com/pricing