[wplug-board] O'Reilly user group free book program

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Jan 19 08:25:12 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:17:51PM -0500, Pat Barron wrote:
> Oh, yeah - we should also put the info and discount code for the user
> group member discount program on the wiki somewhere, if we have not
> already.  (Or something -  I am not sure if O'Reilly wants us to
> restrict who we share the [admittedly widely known....] discount code
> with, like if we have to make sure we give it only to actual members, or
> if we can post it on the wiki for anyone in the community to use.)

In the past, I've posted this info to the wplug-members mailing
list.

<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2007-September/000065.html>
<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2009-June/000092.html>
<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-members/2010-March/000107.html>

The idea was to target paid members.  Although it would be
possible for a non-member to take advantage of it since the
archives are public, I didn't really consider this to be a
significant problem.

Note that Pearson also runs a program, which you may want to look
into <http://www.informit.com/user_groups/>.

As the newsletter editor, I had been getting review copies of
books from both of these.  I would estimate that only 20% (max) of
people I gave books to actually turned in a review.  Eventually
this declined to near 0%, so I stopped requesting books.