[wplug-board] The Day We Fight Back

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Feb 5 08:30:10 EST 2014

FYI, in case we're interested in doing something else to gain some
exposure...

I just found out that a group of Internet privacy advocates, from the
EFF to Mozilla, Reddit and others, are going to hold an online event on
February 11th called "The Day We Fight Back" that is meant to raise
awareness of the digital surveillance taking place in this country. I
understand that WPLUG isn't necessarily a privacy-related group, but
many of the values espoused by this campaign are similar to those in the
open source movement: freedom, transparency, and so on. In fact, you
might say that open source is the heart of this movement: it's hard to
hide backdoors in software when everyone can review the code.

Web site owners can sign up to be notified of banners they can place on
their Web sites to promote the event. They can also participate in the
DWFB social media campaign. Is this something we should participate in?
Vance, since you're the chair of our Marketing & PR Committee, the
choice is essentially yours.

If nothing else, I feel like this could help shake off our image of
"business as usual."

https://www.thedaywefightback.org
--

JUSTIN SMITH

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds