[wplug-board] Are we doing anything for Software Freedom Day? (Possibly just a theoretical question....)

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Aug 6 11:22:07 EDT 2014

That's exactly what the free computer idea is: a gimmick. Many of the most
successful consumer products are sold based on gimmicks. What is the
iPad but an oversized iPhone that can't make calls? What is the iPhone but
the same dolled-up phone sold year after year with trivial changes?

Everyday people aren't going to snap to attention for free as in freedom,
but we can definitely get their attention with free as in cost and rope them
in from there. That's all assuming, of course, that we do actually want to
target everyday people.

That all goes out the window if we decide to maintain our "professional"
focus. We could try to squeeze ourselves into an event run by the Tech
Council or some other professional organization where Linux is usually
underrepresented. How many suits do you know who care about the ethics
of their software, though? SFD's focus is on free software, not open
source.

The best happy medium may be an idea similar to Vance's where we reach
out to a receptive enthusiast group.

As a random idea, I found a very active group called "Free and Almost Free
in Pittsburgh" on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/pittsburgh-free/[1]

Maybe we could try to set up something with them and help them see both
sides of "free." I mean, if anyone would care about free stuff, it's these
guys.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
/-Richard Stallman/

--------
[1] http://www.meetup.com/pittsburgh-free/